Why do research?
· Methods of how to find
· Investigative skills
· Critical thinking
· Pros and cons or
What is your assignment?
Write a research paper on a
“Topic” Serial Killers or Obesity.
Let’s pick Serial Killers.
What do you already know?
(These will be your keywords to search.)
- Serial Killers Kill;
- Ted Bundy;
- Gary Ridgeway;
- are mentally ill;
- may have been abused.
Maybe do some free writing.
Take 10 minutes and write everything you know about the assignment.
Theoretical question (what do you want to know?):
· Why do serial killers murder people?
· Are serial killers mentally ill?
Hypothesis (take a guess):
· Serial killers murder people because they: (enjoy it) or
(are mentally ill), (were abused when a child).
· Serial killers are mentally ill.
Google (Students love to search Google)
Google keywords; what is a serial killer
- Examine the results and look for
websites with .gov, .edu, .org.
- We just:
- Found Information
- Next Investigate
Do this for all the keywords, mentally ill, abused, etc. Make sure
to capture the information as it is found, cut & Paste, printing or
Saving to a USB.
- Criticial thinking; is this answering at least part of your question
and/or further defining your hypothesis?
- Argument (Pros & Cons); is there someone against or for your
- Do you want this article? Go to APA/MLA citation under Library Resources,
Library Guides to start preparing your Reference or Work Cited list, also
make an annotation of how this source is going to be used. Next go to
Google Scholar located to the far lower left of the screen and repeat the steps
CJ350 Research Methods Criminal Justice
CJ620 Research Methods & Data Analysis
HA450 Research Methodologies in Healthcare
MK212 Market Research
PH480 Research Methods in Public Health